This year some 600 new trees in Ljubljana
Ljubljana is becoming even greener, as we are planting new trees in several locations, and we are also taking into account citizens’ initiatives. In spring we have already planted some 140 trees and until the end of the year we are going to plant over 460 more.
Recently we have planted new trees alongside Langusova ulica and Rakuševa ulica and at Rožna dolina cesta IX. In tree-lined alleys, parks, alongside the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship and elsewhere we are replacing trees we had to remove because they were dry, damaged or otherwise dangerous. We are additionally planting trees within the scope of renovations of streets, roads, parking lots and constructing new surfaces. In selecting trees we have considered the size of the aboveground space which is limited in some places, diversity and resilience of species, and the like.
We are pleased that the citizens are aware of the importance of trees for the city environment and are submitting a lot of proposals for new plantings.
By the end of the year we intend to plant more trees in following locations:
- Celovška cesta – 50 limes (Tilia cordata 'Greenspire'),
- Zadobrovška cesta – 52 limes (Tilia cordata) and hornbeams (Carpinus sp.),
- Pot rdečega križa – 47 ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), sweet gum (Liquidambar styraciflua) and oak (Quercus cerris) trees,
- Pot za Brdom – 90 ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), sweet gum (Liquidambar styraciflua) and oak (Quercus cerris) trees,
- the Path of Remembrance and Comradeship and other locations in the city where we are replacing removed trees.
By planting trees we are additionally contributing to a higher quality of life in Ljubljana.